Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Scarlet Letter .. Chapter Sixteen - A Forest Walk .. Post #42

"Now, see! There it is, playing, a good way off. Stand you here, and let me run and catch it. I am but a child. It will not flee from me; for I wear nothing on my bosom yet!” (Page 160)


She does not wear a symbol on her bosom yet... Yet? Does she want to wear it? Or is she just thinking it is normal to wear it. I think she thinks that it just grows on a persons bosom within time, it is something that belongs to life. Or is it just that she knows the A has something bad. That it is a symbol of committing a sin? That she will sin later on in her life? Even she, the pure girl that is so different from everybody else? Is she hinting on every Person's sin, that everybody on this earth is a sinner?

1 comment:

  1. It's possible that Pearl looks at the "A" as something normal that she will grow into because she is her "mother's daughter".

    ReplyDelete